- English Name: Ho Chi Minh City SpaceTechnology Application Center
- Abbreviation: STAC
- Dr. Lam Dao Nguyen
- Director of Ho Chi Minh City SpaceTechnology Application Center
- Address: 1 Mac Dinh Chi St., Dist. 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Tel: +84-8-38233762
Functions & Tasks
Research, development and application in satellite technology mainly in the Southern region of Vietnam in accordance with law.
The main tasks of STAC, mostly performed in the Southern region of Vietnam, include the following:
- Receive, store, process, and deliver satellite imagery to serve socio-economic development, disaster prevention and national security and defense;
- Implement national duties in research, development and application of satellite technology;
- Establish and deploy international cooperation projects in space technology area, special in satellite technology;
- Train, cooperate and transfer satellite technology. Linking to universities for higher educating on space and satellite technology;
- Provide scientific and technological services in the field of satellite technology and its applications.
- One of the important tasks ahead of the Center is to take over, manage, and implement the component of Vietnam Space Center project in Ho Chi Minh City. This project, supported by Japan’s ODA, performs the following specific tasks:
- Develop highly qualified human resources in the field of satellite technology and applications;
- Receive, store, and process satellite data to serve the deployment of space technology application.
- Number of staff: 6
- Number of Prof., Assoc. Prof., Ph.D., M.S., B.S./B.S.E.: 01 Ph.D., 03 M.S., 02 B.S.
The Center focuses on research, development and application of satellite technology and other related technologies such as remote sensing, GNSS, and GIS. In 2014-2015, Center’s researchers have involved in the implementation of the science and technology research projects as follows:
|Name of Projects||Programs||Results|
|Utilization of satellite imagery VNREDSat-1 and equivalent for
monitoring agricultural land cover/ land use of the Mekong Delta,
Vietnam in the context of socio-economic development and climate change
|Integrated system of remote sensing, GIS and mathematical
model for assessing climate change in Southern Vietnam
|Applied research on active microwave remote sensing and statistical model for estimating the mangrove forest biomass||
|Rice crop monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam (SAFE/APRSAF)||
|Wetland mapping for the Lower Mekong River, parts in Vietnam and Cambodia||
- T. Phuong, C.F. Chen, N.T. Son, L.D. Nguyen (2014). Regional yield estimation for rice crop using time-series MODIS and ENVISAT ASAR data: a case study in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. The International Conference on GeoInformatics for Spatial-Infrastructure Development in Earth and Allied Sciences (GIS-IDEAS), 06-08 December 2014, Da Nang City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen Lam-Dao, Phung Hoang-Phi, Thuy Le-Toan and Thy Pham-Thi-Mai (2014). Rice crop monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. The 21th Session of the Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF-21), 2-5 December 2014, Tokyo, Japan.
- Lam Dao Nguyen, Pham Bach Viet, Tran Thai Binh, Pham Thi Mai Thy (2014). Remote sensing applications in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. Colloque International L’eau en partage: enjeu de development dans la region du Mekong, 27-28 November 2014, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen Lam-Dao, Thuy Le-Toan, Phung Hoang-Phi and Thy Pham-Thi-Mai (2014). Rice crop monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam using radar remote sensing data. The 35th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, 27-31 October 2014, Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar.
- Nguyen Lam-Dao, Thuy Le-Toan, Phung Hoang-Phi and Thy Pham-Thi-Mai (2014). Rice crop monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. Asia-RiCE Meeting and Rice Growing Outlook Workshop, Bangkok, 29-30 October 2014
- Lam Dao Nguyen, Thuy Le-Toan, Hoang Phi Phung, Pham Thi Mai Thy (2014). Rice crop monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam using microwave remote sensing data. 2014 International Workshop on Using Remote Sensing for Crop Area Monitoring and Yield Estimation, 20 August 2014, Taichung City, Taiwan.
- Lam Dao Nguyen, Pham Bach Viet, Thuy Le Toan, Hoang Phi Phung, Pham Thi Mai Thy (2014). Rice and mangrove monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam using remote sensing data. International Workshop on “Air Quality in Asia Inventory, Modeling and Climate Impacts of Greenhouse Gas emissions (GHG’s) and Aerosols; Remote sensing applications and Integrated Technologies”, 24-26 June 2014, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Lam Dao Nguyen (2014). Rice crop monitoring in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. 6th SAFE Workshop, 23 April 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Training – Cooperation
Center’s researchers have participated in graduate and post graduate training at the universities. The international co-operation is ongoing with JAXA and RESTEC (Japan) in Asia-RiCE (Asian Rice Crop Estimation & Monitoring) and CESBIO (France).
Production – Services
Scientific and technological services in the field of satellite technology applications.